Thursday 1 July 2010

Are You Afraid Of Water Colouring?

Water-colouring is one of my favourite past times and I'm quite passionate about introducing lots of people to this relaxing art form. When combined with stamping, water colour takes on a whole new meaning because the hard work - the construction of the image - is already done for you in the form of an outline stamp.

There are a couple of hints that I've learned over the years that may help you become more at ease with this great method of colouring.

1. ALWAYS leave some of the white w/c paper showing through. This creates your highlights and gives realism to your work. (You can't add white in water-colour!)
2. Work quickly and start applying from lightest colour first. Layers are transparent and will build up nicely.
 3. Don't be too fussy about staying within the lines. This is a free style of painting and has a charm all of it's own.


This detail shows my style of painting, leaving the white highlights and allowing the colour to speak for itself. I've added colour to the background too, as this softens the entire effect.

If you'd like to try this technique, I'd suggest you own an aqua painter and purchase some of the Stampin' Up! water-colour paper. It is a perfect size for card making and is excellent quality. Here is the completed card. 

Don't you just love the texture the Big Shot  gives you with the embossing folders? I love, love love this machine - it is so sturdy and versatile. The dies available are great too - one of them is featured behind the greeting.


I hope you are enjoying my new blog. I may be a bit quiet over the next week or so as I'm going to the Calisthenics National Championships here in Canberra. Calisthenics has been a huge part of my life for over 50 years and the Nationals showcase some of the most talented performers and teams in Australia. With 3 daughters being involved as both participants and coaches for many years it will be strange to be just part of the audience this year. However one of my girls, Kari,  is convening the entire Championship so I have my fingers crossed for her that everything goes smoothly - She has done a great job and taken on a huge task organizing everything and everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I hope you found something to inspire your creativity. Let me know you have visited by leaving a comment. I would love to hear what you think about my craft projects.
Live in Australia? You can purchase Stampin' Up! products via my On-Line Store?
Best wishes, Ann.