Thursday 29 November 2012

Christmas Trees in Stampin' Up Papers

Hi again stampin' friends - I'm back with another post featuring some Christmas trees that I made using the SIMPLY SCORED SCORING TOOL  and a variety of Stampin' Up! Designer Series Papers. I made these trees because I love using the SIMPLY SCORED and thought they would make a lovely ornament around the house during the festive season, and I also needed some projects to present at the recent Stampin' Up! Heartfelt Event held in Sydney.

This is a quick project as you can score a full 30 x 30 cm page at the one time and then cut it to the sizes you require, or you can cut first, punch a decorative edge then score. 




The first tree I made was a small one using BE OF GOOD CHEER Designer Series Paper - this was the experimental one and I learned a few short cuts as I progressed through the process. The tree is secured around  a foam shape. This keeps it light and provides a good shape to guide you as you add the layers. I've covered a small styrofoam ball with MULTIPURPOSE LIQUID GLUE and CHAMPAGNE STAMPIN' GLASS GLITTER.  The glass glitter has also been adhered around the base of each layer  of tree.

The next tree uses some of the retired MOCHA MORNING SPECIALTY PAPER by Stampin' Up! I wanted this tree  to be larger, so I used a larger foam shape. Again the lengths of the scored strips of paper are a bit random, but it did achieve the rather rustic effect I was after. I used Hot Glue to adhere the layers to the foam, but found it was too hot and started to melt the foam. This one turned out to be more weighty than the other two examples.




The final tree - and this was the one I took and demonstrated at the Stampin' Up! Heartfelt Event, was constructed with much more precision. Each of the top 4 layers is one strip of 30cm and are the same width. The bottom layer is 45cm in length and approximately 2 cm wider. The white frills are cut separately to the same length as  the coloured layers and are adhered with snail adhesive after scoring and concertina folding each strip. I marked where the layers needed to be attached and placed 2 lines of STICKY STRIP  for every layer, around the foam shape. Then it was just a simple task to press the "rosette" shape onto the sticky strip, starting from the base of the tree.



I tied some CRUMB CAKE SCALLOP EDGE TULLE in a bow and added some 6.4 mm STITCHED GROSGRAIN ribbon. The papers are from the POLKA DOT PARADE DSP  range and that is rapidly becoming one of my favourite paper sets. 

In Australia it is usually quite hot at Christmas and although we love the traditional aspects of Christmas I thought a brighter tree would be appropriate for our situation. It also coordinates with my Bird House project that I will post soon.

Until next time

Stay Crafty and Stay Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I hope you found something to inspire your creativity. Let me know you have visited by leaving a comment. I would love to hear what you think about my craft projects.
Live in Australia? You can purchase Stampin' Up! products via my On-Line Store?
Best wishes, Ann.