Saturday 20 November 2010

Kaleidoscope Cards

Well I've waited a long time for these cards to be published, but they finally hit the news stands this week. I loved making them and felt that they were just a little different to much that we see in magazines, so took a punt and submitted them to the Australian Card Making, Stamping and  Papercraft magazine.

As soon as I saw the Kaleidoscope DP from Stampin' Up!®, I  imagined lots of little roads and villages - kind of like cartoons, but more whimsical. I loved the colour combinations in the papers and also found the little houses from a 2010 Sale A Bration set the perfect images to create villages or rows of houses.

And here is one of the pages in the magazine. You can read all the instructions for each card in the magazine, but you'll need to substitute a different DP as Kaleidoscope has since been retired. This is one of the pages from the magazine.


 I've used lots of techniques such as paper piecing, stamping, punching, faux stitching, paper piercing and high lighting with a white gel pen. I embossed all the greetings using White Emboss Powder so I could achieve a strong white. A little ink was then rubbed over the writing to help it stand out from the background.


I used the Butterfly Extra Large punch from SU and stamped a pattern over the top of the DP before punching out the shape. The Paper Piercer and Matt Pack make creating the faux stitching easy, and the corner embellishment is a Sizzix die . Coordinating the button colour is easy with Stampin' Up!

 
Lots of additional doodling using the White Gel Pen on this card.  How great is this paper? The large flowers and the houses have been cut out and some have been raised on  Dimensionals. Turquoise brads are  from Stampin' Up!



I've added further interest on this card by cutting around some of the pattern and layering it over the top of the DP. Corners are punched using the Photo Corners Extra Large punch.


Don't forget to take a look at the magazine if you'd like to have more detailed instructions. I hope you enjoy the cards - it sure was fun making them and as soon as I get all my Christmas workshops prepared I'm going to try out some more submissions. It is fun to see your own work in print. I even "found" an old work colleague from 35 years ago who saw my cards and just knew it had to be me. Lots of catching up to do there. We used to teach art together, when we were both in our 20's ......


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I hope you found something to inspire your creativity. Let me know you have visited by leaving a comment. I would love to hear what you think about my craft projects.
Live in Australia? You can purchase Stampin' Up! products via my On-Line Store?
Best wishes, Ann.