Wednesday 26 March 2014

Brayer Magic With Stamps

I'm often asked how to create this type of scene with our Stampin' Up!® supplies and I love to demonstrate both the technique I find best to use with a brayer, and explain the serendipity that often results with this technique. 




What do you think of this one? I started with one of my very old multi-coloured ink pads and originally intended what has become the sky, to be the land. I punched out a 2 and 3/4 inch circle on a sticky note and applied the ink straight over the top. 
It is important to use a very light pressure when doing this and a little trick I've learned is to move the brayer on different angles when applying the ink. We worked on glossy White - I find that much easier than regular card stock.
I added some more colour to the base (the green/blue area) and all of a sudden when I turned the work up side down, I saw a lake appear with a lovely atmospheric sunset sky. You can see from the lighter areas at the top of the page, the directions I used with the brayer.
The moon always ends up with a white rim because I use the negative area left over from punching out the circle, as a mask for sponging some colour onto the moon. I apply the colour with a dabbing motion rather than a rubbing motion and this produces the grainy appearance. 
The floral silhouettes were stamped in Rich Razzleberry first, then another layer was stamped using Jet Black Stazon Ink. I have to admit the line that defines the water from the sky was not intentional, but most of the other effects I did try to achieve.
Thanks for looking today,
Until Next Time,

1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely stunning! I thought for sure that the moon was a stamp! Thanks for sharing your sponging technique for that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I hope you found something to inspire your creativity. Let me know you have visited by leaving a comment. I would love to hear what you think about my craft projects.
Live in Australia? You can purchase Stampin' Up! products via my On-Line Store?
Best wishes, Ann.