Wednesday 9 March 2022

Creating With Punches - Christmas Decoration


 I'm very excited to share this method of creating something with Stampin' Up!® punches. I love eveything to do with Christmas and for over 10 years have been participating in the Canberra Craft & Quilt Fair, where my friend and I sell lots of our creations.

Christmas is our specialty - each year we try to come up with a new papercraft ornament, but this is one of my all-time favourites. 

I've used the Gleaming Ornament Punch Pack that is bargain priced on the Clearance Rack right now, so if you hurry you will be able to get it. 

  
  Images copyright Stampin' Up!® 1990 -2022

 We all have lots of Designer Series Papers that remain unused, don't we?

I certainly do and this is a really pretty way of using those papers up. These ornaments are designed for Christmas, but you could use them for any occasion by simply changing the papers.

I find it beneficial to choose a light and a darker patterned paper so that I achieve some  variety and maybe a little drama in the finished ornament. 

I need to give credit to Stampin' Up! for the original idea on a catalogue many years ago. I have simply adapted and simplified it to suit these punches.


 This sample is not particularly Christmassy and I love the colours. You can see how, by choosing a light and darker patterned paper that you achieve a good contrast in the ornament.

You need to cut out 20 of each shape to make 5 sections of each shape. Fold 3 of them in half, glue them together and then glue to the remaining flat piece using Multipurpose glue.

I've used lots of hot glue to assemble the ornament. Use a silicone mat to work on so the glue will easily peel off. Place a circle of hot glue, about the size of a 20 cent piece onto the silicone mat, then arrange the 5 shapes around the glue. The shapes will be almost touching.

Next cut and fold some tulle and glue into the spaces between the shapes, then add more hot glue and arrange the smaller shapes over the tulle. Find a nice button or jewel to use as a centre and glue it in place.

I've used olive coloured tulle under the smaller shapes and finished the ornament with one of the retired brass buttons and linen thread. 

 You can get different results by placing the shapes in a different direction - so the outer tip will become the inner tip. 

I've made these with  other retired ornament shapes - this will give you larger and different shaped ornaments. They are lots of fun to make.

Here are some made over the years using different dies from Stampin' Up!®.

   
 
 

 

Punches can be used to create complicated items or simple fun cards. They are particularly good for children's cards.
 

Choose any Designer Series Paper that you love and combine it with the following items available in my store.
I suggest Tidings of Christmas from the Annual Catalogue
 
 


2 comments:

  1. These are beautiful, Ann! I especially like the red and green one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love punch art and these are all so pretty; I could see a handout/booklet that could be sold with just punch art projects such as these - many punch art projects are simple but I am fascinated by the more intricate ones, such as the ones you post here! TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I hope you found something to inspire your creativity. Let me know you have visited by leaving a comment. I would love to hear what you think about my craft projects.
Live in Australia? You can purchase Stampin' Up! products via my On-Line Store?
Best wishes, Ann.