Tuesday 22 November 2011

Stampin' Up Technique Class - More Fun With A Brayer

I love playing with the brayer and inks, and recently held a Stampin' Up! technique class where I introduced this fun technique. My aim was to de-mystify the technique and show that it can be suited to all abilities and styles. 

Experimenting with colour is one of the wonderful elements of the BRAYER  technique and for this card I was aiming to show that a smooth blending of the background colours is not always necessary to achieve an interesting atmosphere.

Perhaps the most important thing to remember is that your colours will loose their intensity and clarity if you overwork them. I have a rule to start with my lightest colour first and ALWAYS  leave some of the white background showing through. This allows the purity of any secondary colours to show through as well as blending them with the original light colour. 

Do I sound a bit confusing? Have a look at this card and see if you can work out what I mean. 

I really like the "sky" section where you can still see the brayer marks of some of the colours. I wanted to move away from them more blended  look and create a sense of movement and life in the scene. 


I have called this "Blue Moon" 

Can you see that I started with the Saffron on the top half of the card, leaving the lower portion White? Then I rolled on some Turquoise across the top and the base of the card - the difference being the Turquoise turns a greenish colour at the top but retains its Turquoise hues behind the UPSY DAISY and POCKET SILHOUETTES stamps. A small amount of Perfect Plum was applied in selected areas prior to stamping the images in Turquoise, Perfect Plum and Black. 


The detail shows the difference between SPONGING - the colour on the moon - and brayering. It's always fun to combine techniques. I have used Stampin' Up!® Whisper White card stock as the base of this card. I find it absorbs the colours a little and allows you time to "work" them if you choose. You would get a slightly different result when using Glossy White card stock.

I hope you will have a go using a Brayer - it is a very quick way to achieve nice results.

Until next time

Stay Crafty!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I hope you found something to inspire your creativity. Let me know you have visited by leaving a comment. I would love to hear what you think about my craft projects.
Live in Australia? You can purchase Stampin' Up! products via my On-Line Store?
Best wishes, Ann.